Sunday, May 27, 2018

Plowing with Horses


 Although I've had draft horses for years, this is the first I've owned a sulky plow.

This past April, I purchased an Emerson plow at the Kalona Draft Horse Sale. It is probably more than 100-years-old and works amazingly well.

A "sulky" plow has one plowshare (digging blade) and a seat for the driver. (as opposed to a walk behind style)
There are also "gang" plows which have more than one plowshare. In my novel Under the Heavens, main character Lenny drives a "gang" plow with six-horses. Unfortunately, I tell the readers that he is driving a "sulky" plow. I mention and correct the error in book II, Catbird Singing. If you have read or want to read the Amish Horses Series, this blog post should help you visualize what plowing with horses is like.
After I got my plow home, I needed to come up with a tongue. This type of plow needs a tongue and mine didn't have one.

 I stopped in to visit one of my Amish friends. He and his boys dropped what they were working on to search through their collection of old plows for a tongue that I could use this spring. They plan to make a new one for me before next summer.

This tongue is longer than I need for two horses. It was made for a six-horse-hitch. I had to add a section of chain-links so I could use it.

You may notice that my furrows aren't that straight.
Well, I'm a novice.
I have plowed with a six-horse hitch on an Amish farm. However, they set everything up and gave clear instructions on how to proceed. This time I was on my own.

My experiences of plowing with a six-horse hitch on an Amish farm are shared in detail with my readers in the Amish Horses Series.

 You can see a light section of soil that was plowed a few days earlier. The darker area was just plowed, and I finished up the grassy strip after I snapped this photo.
Karma and Karla patiently waited while I took pictures. They are 18 and 17-year-old sisters and happy for a break in the action.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful girls thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these girls! I always remind them that they are the best horses in the world. (Sorry to you other horse owners but that's how I feel about them.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting your plow! What a blessing to have friends you can go to for help. What are you going to use the ground for? I think your furrows look pretty good! The first time we used a walking plow I had to stop for a while because I was laughing so hard at how crooked the rows were. It still makes me laugh when I think about it today! I can understand how you feel about your horses. They’re great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! I planned to plant sweetcorn but the weather and my busy schedule foiled those plans. I guess this year was just a learning experience. We'll try it again next year.

      Delete