Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Very Expensive Faucet


 Our kitchen faucet broke in February. I thought, how expensive can that be?

My greatest concern had to do with whether or not I needed to hire a plumber.
Not to worry, my wife solved that problem. She called our daughter, Robyn, about the issue.

Robyn's husband is a handyman, so I thought, good this will be cheap!
 My daughter texted me: Send pics of your kitchen.
That should have been a clue that my world was about to turn upside down for a month.

I sent this pic to the left and the one just below. Little did I know that she and my wife were planning a kitchen remodel job.



My wife explained, "If we are going to get a new faucet, we might as well get a new sink."
Except, she wanted a black sink, which then required a new countertop. We compromised and my daughter helped me refinish our counter with a Rust-Oleum Countertop kit. A simple project that only lasted two full days. LOL




I will say the results were beautiful and gave "Your's Truly" a sense of accomplishment. My wife is in her work-clothes below, painting cupboards. (Notice that big smile.)
 If you have read the children's book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, then you will know what happens next. In that delightful story, we learn that things escalate. If you give a mouse a cookie, it will want a glass of milk to go with it. Obviously, the walls and flooring will need upgrading...
 Why not put up shiplap on one wall? My daughter (the designer) and my son-in-law (the handyman) pictured above, each using their God-given skills in our kitchen.
Our old floors were pretty bad but we made them worse by painting the ceiling, walls, and cupboards without the best protection. Like the rest of the kitchen, nothing had been remodeled in years. These floors were probably installed in the 1980's.

I planned to do the floors by myself. (If you know me at all, you might laugh at this point.)
 I placed all the pieces down as instructed and began snapping them into place. I made it about 1/3 of the way across our kitchen before I accepted the reality that I needed my son-in-law's help.

He came to my rescue and we now have everything complete.

Actually, the faucet wasn't expensive at all. In fact, our remodel job turned out to be relatively cheap.


As the book goes, though, if you give your wife a cookie, she'll need a glass of milk to go with it. And, if you get her a new faucet, she may need a new countertop... and so forth.


Here are a few pictures of our completely renewed kitchen below. Everything, including the light fixture, ended up being replaced. Oops, I have to admit, the ceiling fan is leftover from the old scheme.
 My blogs are usually about Amish or Horses. The only thing Amish in this post is the table that our Amish friend made for us. To read about that, type Amish Built up on the search bar on my website. (top left)


7 comments: