Saturday, June 18, 2022

Where Donkeys Rule




There is a place in America where donkeys rule.

In Cripple Creek, Colorado donkeys are free to roam the streets at their leisure, and they do. My wife and I recently spent a week in the mountains near Cripple Creek. We took a drive through the little mountain town and came across a herd of donkeys roaming the streets. My first thought was to let someone know their donkeys were out. I checked in with a local business person and she explained the phenomenon.  

Cripple Creek is an old mining town. Donkeys were an integral part of life here during the birth of this community and they remain a permanent fixture. In honor of all the donkeys who carried loaded packs, or worked in the mines, these donkeys are treated like royalty. 



The donkeys have a support team known as the Two Mile High Club. The elevation of Cripple Creek is 9,495 feet above sea level, which is almost two miles up. I had to gasp for air when I strolled from shop to shop. Lol, not quite that bad, but it gave me an excuse to sit on a bench and take in the views. 



I purchased this hat as a memento and to help support the donkeys. Local stores carry Two Mile High Club merchandise and a portion of the sales are used to maintain the donkey herd. There is a Facebook page and a website for these donkeys. You can click on the links at the bottom of this post and join the support team. 
We were lucky enough to take in the annual rodeo while we were in Cripple Creek. It is touted as the world's highest rodeo. I had to wonder if the horses noticed the low oxygen content of the mountain air.
The locals seem to embrace these little darlings and allow them free access to roam, sit, eat, and poop wherever they so desire.
Everyone loves to stop and feed and/or pet these "rulers of the mountains" but be sure to check about what food is acceptable before you toss them a treat. We want to keep these gentle spirits safe and honor the legacy of those valiant ancestors who faithfully served humankind. 

I took the photo below when I first witnessed a herd of donkeys roaming the streets.
This was my first view of Cripple Creek (below) as my wife and I crossed the mountain pass heading into town. It was love at first sight for me, and I didn't even know about the Two Mile High Club yet. 

 Be sure to notice the white-capped mountains off in the distance lining the horizon. 

Here are the links I promised:


2 comments:

  1. We drove through Cripple Creek and didn't see any donkeys? Amazing they let them wander around town like that. Any other American town would round them up or shoot them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got lost looking for a grocery store and found this herd of roaming donkeys. I didn't know you'd been to Cripple Creek.

      Delete