Sunday, July 5, 2020

Applesauce Bonanza


Applesauce apples ripen around the 4th of July every year.
Many people think of harvesting apples in the fall. This is true of most varieties of apples, but not Lodi or Yellow Transparent. These sour types create the best texture and flavor for home-made applesauce. My wife grew up helping her grandmother and mother can and freeze orchard and garden produce.

 After I picked apples for three evenings, my wife washed and cut out cores, removing as little as possible in order to increase the output. I helped by ladling cooked apples into a colander. 


We poured the strained, cooked apples into our "victorian strainer" and filled our cake pans with raw applesauce. My main job is cranking the strainer and ladling the sauce into freezer boxes. Once it cools, add sugar to taste. No recipe-- just apples and sugar. We leave it rather sour and add cinnamon-sugar when we put it on our plate, or at the time of serving.

We put up 77 quarts into our freezer. I know-- this sounds like a ton! However, appletrees have "on and off years." Some growing seasons produce oodles of apples, but you never know what next year will be like. We had a late frost this year and it might have destroyed our crop. It turned out to be an apple bonanza! I prayed for these trees when I planted them in 2002 as a birthday gift for my wife. Prayers answered: they grew and produce well. The message in her card said, "There will be two beautiful bouquets of apple blossoms every spring that say: I love Shari." (and her applesauce) 
Our children grew up eating my wife's AMAZING applesauce and now my grandchildren are enjoying the same. In the photo below, you can see our Yellow Transparent appletrees just to the right of my balding head. My granddaughter is riding on Karma, our Amish raised horse.
Our whole family LOVES Shari's home-made applesauce with her home-made pizza!
There is an applesauce apple picking story in Under the Heavens

To find out more about all of my books Click Here

2 comments:

  1. OH Tom, I can smell and almost taste the applesauce just from reading your talking about making it. As one who gardens and loves to pick fruit, we more than understand putting all you can while you can because as you said it may have to last a couple of years. Bonus is if there are two bountiful years friends benefit from the abundance of it.

    God bless you and yours and a good years for apples!
    Dale and Kay
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Kay! I do appreciate you taking time to leave a comment. Blessings sent your way from Iowa.

    ReplyDelete