Saturday, August 17, 2019

Amish Garden Tour

 The sun rises on an Amish farm and garden near Shipshewana, Indiana.
As an author of Amish fiction, driving down country roads in Amish country is very inspiring! I'm mostly looking for draft horses. However, I've learned to appreciate the gardens I see while looking for Amish horses. I decided my blog followers might enjoy a tour of Amish gardens.
 Hoop buildings are popular on Amish farms. They can be used for livestock and equipment. Notice the grapevines in this photo. The sweet corn made more beautiful with a flower bed.
 This entire field of corn has been lined with flowers. Maybe these flowers ward off bugs? That is one reason Amish line their gardens with certain types of flowers. If you want to know more about what types of flowers work like that, ask an Amish person or google it. I'm sorry but I'm an author and a horse person, not a gardener. I don't know the answer.
 This farm near Kalona, Iowa fits my ideal of a perfect Amish farm. As with most Amish farms, there are multiple gardens, fruit trees, and grapevines.
 This Amish farm has a church wagon in the drive. Since Amish church is moved from farm to farm they use wagons carry benches, songbooks, and tableware from farm to farm.
As with many Amish gardens, good luck finding a weed. I passed by this farm near Arthur, Illinois twice. The first time there was a teenage girl sitting between the rows working. I didn't feel like I should take her pic. She finished her work and headed inside before I came back by.
This is one of my favorites garden pics. A very common sight in Amish country... families working in the garden together. This picture was taken near my home in Iowa. I didn't mind the pic of people because they are facing the other way and hard to identify.
 Another classic Amish farm scene. Wagonload of hay in front of the silo. Grapevines on the side.
We have flower sales in the Kalona area. I love seeing horse-drawn wagon-loads of flowers heading into the auction barn. (Is this France?)
Pastels
 Another garden lined with pink flowers.


And the finished product: Strawberry pie.

I have more garden photos on my Amish Horses Facebook page.
If you are a Facebook person, click on this link.
Don't forget to "Like" the Amish Horses Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment