Sunday, April 30, 2017

Still Making Fence


This isn't my most exciting blog, but for those who follow Amish Horses, here is an update.

Yes, I'm still making fence. After spending a solid week pouring over edits in my newest novella, Cowboys and Amish Girls, I went straight to work making this fence.

Last week I shared pictures of my draft horses pulling these corner posts to the far edges of my property. The posts are all set and painted now.


You can see the edge of my pasture where it meets up with my brother-in-law's farm fields. When my wife saw this picture she asked, "Did you get some of the white paint in your beard?"

"Nope, that white is a sign of my aging wisdom."

The fencing material I'm using is called Hot Coat. I first noticed this type of fence while on a book tour in a heavily populated Amish area of Indiana. It's high tensile wire, coated with a white plastic that will conduct a shock. Amish farmers use solar powered fence chargers to keep their fences hot.

We have a local Amish business that sells Hot Coat. Evan's Sales and Service is just down the road from my favorite Amish bakery, Golden Delight. (of course every time I go to get parts for my fence I have to stop and get a donut.)
 I put the fence where I wanted it and then have been questioning how wise I really am, to put a new fence next to an ancient ash tree. Hopefully when the tree does fall it lands in the opposite direction.

My horses still aren't grazing next to my new fence, yet. There will be plenty of horse pics with my new "Amish fence" in the future.

I do have a novella that is all about a fence between an Amish family and a modern suburb.
Whispering to Horses

4 comments:

  1. The fence looks great and I'm looking forward to reading the new novella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And while it may not be exciting, it's good to see how you're working your horses. It makes us think about more opportunities to use ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. My fence is finished now and my horses are happily grazing within the safety of a permanent enclosure. Karma and Karla are up to about any job on a farm. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice article and it helps me to think building a good fence, great tips you shared. Thank you for sharing such a helpful blog!

    ReplyDelete